Re: Pregnant mares

In a message dated 98-04-20 18:59:38 EDT, bertin@fone.net writes:

<< So is it up to individual ride managers to choose to not allow pregnant
mares?
 In a flyer I just received for the Chimayo Chile Ride, SW Region, May 9th,
 rule #2. reads:
 "Horses must be a least 5 years old for the 50 miler.  Horses must be a least
 four years old or older for the 25 miler.  Mares in foal are not permitted."

 This is an AERC sanctioned ride.  Seems I've seen this rule on other ride
 flyers also.  How common is it?

Hi, Pamela--

Fortunately it is not too common any more.  However, such a statement is in
violation of the AERC rule that makes events open to "all equines" over a
certain age (60 months for endurance rides, 48 months for LD's).  You might
want to quietly point this out to the ride manager, and if that fails, discuss
it with your sanctioning director.

Heidi