Re: prompting

Concerning radio comm and level playing fields, the implications of this
discussion are troubling.  I wire both my rider and her horse with tracking
transmitters when they compete.  The  AERC says that the horse's
welfare is the rider's responsibility.  I can use technology to enhance
both horse and rider safety, and I do.

Concerning a previous post.

<< I personally think it ... can give those with access to the technology an
 unfair advantage, as on most rides in my area there is NOT crew accessibility
 to a lot of the trail.>>

First, the technology is available to anyone, and isn't expensive.  It's not
my fault other people would rather spend the money on other things.
Second, if the trail is inaccessible, all the more reason that every
possible way be used to increase rider/horse safety.

<< I find it equally offensive when crew members go to great lengths to meet
riders on course when there is ample water provided, etc., etc.
As a ride manager I work hard to ensure as level a playing field as possible.

When I'm meeting my rider at every possible point along the trail, I have with
me a vet crash kit.  Does a level playing field mean my rider (or anyone else
who'd need it) has to accept higher risks.  If that one bucket of water
between
watering holes helps prevent a metabolic crash, how can that be a bad thing?

<<As much as I think FEI is sometimes cluttered with rules, I
 think their outlawing of such communication is in keeping with the spirit of
 the sport.  I do like Ramey's idea of having the cell phone in a sealed pack;
 you have it in case of emergency, but once you break the seal, you are out of
 the competition. >>

Concerning other organization's rules, equity comes at a price.  With my
available technology and a full tank of gas, her safety is enhanced compared
to my standing in some designated pit area.  Thus "the level playing field"
is more dangerous thanks to these rules.  I'm not sure that's the "spirit"
the AERC wants to promote.

As for the cell phone, you know, I've tried to teach my horse to dial 911 if
my rider's knocked unconscious on the trail, but he keeps crushing the
phone...

Scott Rickard