Re: Leaving after ride

>This was discussed in depth around the campfire, as we waited for dawn
>after the horse died.  I think there should ALWAYS be one vet preferably
>at camp overnight, or on call with a number posted, after a ride.  To
>just call the local vet is not an acceptable alternative.

     Probably depends on where you are geographically. In my neck of the
woods, you could raise a decent equine DVM pretty easily. I'm sure that is
not the case in many places, though.
     I plan to stay around a ride (endurance or CTR) for at least a couple
of hours after the last horse finishes.

>When that local vet pulled up at about 9:30 AM down at Witchdance, he
>didn't know that the horse had looked like it was O.K. for hours after
>going 50 miles.  All he saw was a bunch of people who had "run their
>horses 50 miles" the day before, and one big dead one laying in front of
>the manager's office.  Imagine how that looked.  We need an ENDURANCE vet
>available.

     Hmm. Could you show a DVM who wasn't present for the ride the horse's
card, with the  vet check parameters scored?
      It's hard on the ride vet to be asked to stay over--at least in my
case--I lose money every time I vet a ride. If I had to spend another night
away, I couldn't afford it. (That's why I'm taking a year off from judging
<G>)

>I think there may be some major regional differences involved here.
   Yup. See above.

>... I just think sometimes it's just the "I'm in a hurry"
>sydrome.  Riders want to get there and get gone.

    Yup. Though the last ride where I had a horse in any distress at the
end (not bad, but not happy), the riders elected to stay over vs.
trailering home (6 hours, if I recall).
             --CMNewell, DVM