Re: Leaving after ride

  Since the vets are not always there
>after the awards meeting and
>someone lived close enough to go home, would it not be just as easy to
>call their own vet

This was discussed in depth around the campfire, as we waited for dawn
after the horse died.  I think there should ALWAYS be one vet preferably
at camp overnight, or on call with a number posted, after a ride.  To
just call the local vet is not an acceptable alternative.

When that local vet pulled up at about 9:30 AM down at Witchdance, he
didn't know that the horse had looked like it was O.K. for hours after
going 50 miles.  All he saw was a bunch of people who had "run their
horses 50 miles" the day before, and one big dead one laying in front of
the manager's office.  Imagine how that looked.  We need an ENDURANCE vet
available.

I think there may be some major regional differences involved here.
Sounds like the folks in CA. don't have to haul far to get to most of
their rides.  I live in the exact center of the Southeast, and haul an
average of 5hrs to go to rides.  I think that's too far to haul home.  I
also stayed overnight at a ride 15 miles from home.  One thing about
staying at ride camp.  When I go home, my horse goes out in the field and
I'm in the house.  No way I'll know if anything starts going wrong.  When
I camp, he's on the picket line right beside me.  I peek out at him all
through the night.  I just feel like I can keep better tabs on his
condition.  As far as hauling to a fairgrounds.  Maybe that suits some
horses, but mine HATES strange stalls, (as a matter of fact he hates
familiar stalls)  He's more relaxed on his line.

The "freezing desert nights" syndrome is totally foreign to me.  We have
humid nights to go with our humid days.  So, I trust you guys to know
what's best.  I just think sometimes it's just the "I'm in a hurry"
sydrome.  Riders want to get there and get gone.

 I can understand what Dee said about being afraid she'd be the only one
there if she stayed.  Here lately, it's been kinda lonesome on Sunday
morning, and it made me a little nervous last year at Alabama when only
about 3 groups from the Endurance Ride stayed Saturday night, and some
drinking, partying locals pulled in.  I prefer to have them outnumbered.
But then, I just remember what that fellow said down in Oconee, "These
are some of the toughest women in the world", and I remember what my
friend Faith (who all the men notice) said out the flap of her tent  to
her horse when the drunks really started getting loud..."Don't worry
Rock, I've got a gun, I'll protect you!"

Angie

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]