Re: Leaving after ride

In a message dated 98-04-10 10:07:30 EDT, rides2far@juno.com writes:

 just call the local vet is not an acceptable alternative.

 When that local vet pulled up at about 9:30 AM down at Witchdance, he
 didn't know that the horse had looked like it was O.K. for hours after
 going 50 miles.  All he saw was a bunch of people who had "run their
 horses 50 miles" the day before, and one big dead one laying in front of
 the manager's office.  Imagine how that looked.  We need an ENDURANCE vet
 available. >>

In many cases here the local vet DOES have endurance experience.  I am
specific when I refer riders to local clinics, and always send them to one of
the four that have endurance vets on staff.

 <<I think there may be some major regional differences involved here.>>

That's exactly why each circumstance needs to be treated individually and not
through "rules."  If there was a problem at that particular ride, the ride
manager needs to be talked to, and if that is not productive, then the
sanctioning director needs to be talked to.

<<As far as hauling to a fairgrounds.  Maybe that suits some
 horses, but mine HATES strange stalls, (as a matter of fact he hates
 familiar stalls)  He's more relaxed on his line.>>

I'm sure he is, provided the ambient conditions are sufficiently comfortable
to allow him to eat, drink, and doze comfortably.  When night descends on a
tired horse under severe conditions, you may be surprised how "comfortable" he
suddenly becomes in a strange stall.  Have seen horses that have never so much
as SEEN a stall heave a big sigh of relief at being warm and out of the wind,
and miraculously start to eat and drink again.

 <<The "freezing desert nights" syndrome is totally foreign to me.  We have
 humid nights to go with our humid days.  So, I trust you guys to know
 what's best.  I just think sometimes it's just the "I'm in a hurry"
 sydrome.  Riders want to get there and get gone. >>

While many want to get gone, I have run into very, very few who will do so at
the expense of their horse.  I have many riders who come back to me for a
"pre-haul" exam, long after their "official" post-ride exam, just to make sure
all is well before they head off.

Heidi Smith, DVM