Re: Pulled

Linda:

Hi lady!!!  I have had a similar problem myself.  So, years ago, I spent the
time with my horse...waited until he urinated and whistled when he
did...after a week, he did it on command (even TRIED to pee when he didn't
actually need to).

Maybe he was just smart or I was lucky.  I believe it CAN be
done...sometimes taking some straw or shavings along and placing horse above
them or putting under him in a place he might "think" about peeing works.
Your vet did the right thing though...another time a friends horse
(experieced-both) did not come down in 30 minutes...everything seemed
okay...he was pulled and two hours later the horse was in DEEP
trouble...took ten people to keep him from going down and more than 20 IV
bags and HOURS of attention.  he's okay today, but something was WRONG that
day.

Our horses DO talk to us.....

Are you going to Equine Affair with Ann?  If so, do you need/want hotel mate
to share costs?  I have a friend or two who is looking to share (female).

Teddy

Linda Parish wrote:

> Hi Ridecampers!
> We, Linda and Bo Parrish, have worked rides for about the past 16 years.
> Last weekend we were at the Montell Cliff-hanger ride, which is a
> beautiful ride that you should all try if you're ever in TX. One hundred
> equines started the 30/50/75 miles of trail and there were only four
> pulls. My inquiry involves one of the pulled horses'. In this case, the
> horse came into the check and couldn't meet pulse criteria within the 30
> minutes allowed. The horse and rider have completed several other rides
> previously. In this case, after the vets had looked the horse over and
> determined that he didn't need treatment at this time, the rider took
> his horse back to his trailer. My husband, Bo, is a very concerned P/R
> person, so after about 5 minutes, he went to the trailer to check on the
> horse. The owner told Bo that shortly after they got to the trailer and
> the horse's own pen, the horse urinated for 2-3 minutes - nice yellow
> pee, nothing wrong with the color. Bo checked the pulse and it was 12
> (if I remember correctly). The vets later re-checked and cleared the
> horse for travel home. Whew, sorry for the long build-up!
> My question - apparently, the horse was holding his urine and this was
> making the pulse stay high. What can riders do to "teach" their horse to
> urinate?
> I have a youngster who held his on the way back home for 9 hours and,
> yes, we stopped for lunch and let the boys out, walked them around,
> watered, etc. Older horse urinated, younger wouldn't. Anyway, I am very
> interested in this answer. Thanks for your time and patience!
> Linda Parrish
> member of Texas Endurance Riders Assoc., Inc.
> We hold great rides - come see for yourself!!

begin:          vcard
fn:             Teddy Lancaster
n:              Lancaster;Teddy
org:            RUNNING BEAR FARM, INC.
email;internet: Teddy@runningbear.com
title:          President
note:           "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want  to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln    "Our government has no character"
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard