Pulled

Hi Ridecampers!
We, Linda and Bo Parrish, have worked rides for about the past 16 years.
Last weekend we were at the Montell Cliff-hanger ride, which is a
beautiful ride that you should all try if you're ever in TX. One hundred
equines started the 30/50/75 miles of trail and there were only four
pulls. My inquiry involves one of the pulled horses'. In this case, the
horse came into the check and couldn't meet pulse criteria within the 30
minutes allowed. The horse and rider have completed several other rides
previously. In this case, after the vets had looked the horse over and
determined that he didn't need treatment at this time, the rider took
his horse back to his trailer. My husband, Bo, is a very concerned P/R
person, so after about 5 minutes, he went to the trailer to check on the
horse. The owner told Bo that shortly after they got to the trailer and
the horse's own pen, the horse urinated for 2-3 minutes - nice yellow
pee, nothing wrong with the color. Bo checked the pulse and it was 12
(if I remember correctly). The vets later re-checked and cleared the
horse for travel home. Whew, sorry for the long build-up!
My question - apparently, the horse was holding his urine and this was
making the pulse stay high. What can riders do to "teach" their horse to
urinate?
I have a youngster who held his on the way back home for 9 hours and,
yes, we stopped for lunch and let the boys out, walked them around,
watered, etc. Older horse urinated, younger wouldn't. Anyway, I am very
interested in this answer. Thanks for your time and patience!
Linda Parrish
member of Texas Endurance Riders Assoc., Inc.
We hold great rides - come see for yourself!!