Re: tying in a trailer

Angela C. McGhee wrote:

>  I agree that you should never tie the head until the butt bar is up.

Oh, geez.....this one brought back bad memories. When I got Gabe....I was a
newbie to horse ownership, even though I had ridden all my life.

The "trailering" incidents are the most terrifying!

Of course, I opened the back door before the head was untied.   That time,
Gabe started to back out before I got around to untie his head.....he stepped
both rear legs out and reached the end of his rope.....flung his head
up...(banging his head on the trailer ceiling)....his rear legs both slid
under the rear of the two-horse trailer......***man, this "wreck" stuff
happens so fast!*** and he ****Scraped**** his legs back under the trailer.
That was really a bad situation!  I thought he just broke both his rear
legs!  He scraped the hair (and skin) off both shins.......but we were
lucky......and we are both here today to tell about it!

(do you want to hear about *incident #2?)

Newbie as I was (am?)......I would always load Gabe with his lead
on......then tie him to the trailer tie (two horse/straight) and haul like
that, with his lead rope just coiled in the manger....(ready for any
emergency!)....Then the worst-case senerio happened!  (of course!)....the
manger door popped open......his lead rope bounced out (still clipped to his
halter) and, being a 10' lead.....was dangling out the trailer feed
door.....and almost wrapped itself around the axel of the trailer!.........
My mind pictured my beloved Gabe getting *sucked* out the manger door as the
lead around his neck got firmly wrapped around the axel of the trailer as we
were travelling down the hiway!

Needless to say.....I disconnect the lead and bring it with me into the
truck!

Be careful out there, RideCampers!
--
Deanne Del Vecchio  & Gabe~~glad I still have my neck!~~
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5157   Best Trails in Tahoe!