From: Lucy C Trumbull <elsie@calweb.com>
To: ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Subject: eating while travelling
Date: Saturday, March 21, 1998 12:58 AM

> << Third, is it safe to feed cubes while trailering?
>
>  I wouldn't, just to be on the safe side.  I've heard way too many
>  stories of choke, which wouldn't be as big a problem if the horse could
>  lower and straighten his neck to cough.  >>
>
> Have to say that Susan is right on about the danger of choke in the
trailer.
> The more "chopped" the feed (as in cubes) the higher the risk.

Does this mean that feeding hay while trailering is
relatively safe?

How 'bout if a horse is travelling in a slant load, untied,
would he be able to lower his head to cough out blobs of
choking food?

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

http://www.calweb.com/~trouble
http://www.calweb.com/~elsie