Re: tying in a trailer

In a message dated 98-03-21 09:29:01 EST, paus@micoks.net writes:

<< I've always preferred not to tie in a trailer in case of a wreck.  >>

Have seen trailer wrecks where the horse was severely damaged because he was
NOT tied, hence was slammed repeatedly clear across the trailer.  Have also
seen trailer doors come open (faulty bolts, human error, etc.) and have seen
horses die from coming OUT of a trailer at 60 mph and skid down the pavement.
In trailers with partitions, have seen FAR more injuries from horses getting
their heads down and not being able to get them up again, and also from horses
getting down, getting legs stuck under partitions, etc.  You cannot IMAGINE
the things horses can dream up to do.  Just getting them OUT can be a major
challenge without causing further injury and/or totalling the trailer.  Such
scenarios are far more common than wrecks, and can happen to the "best" of
horses.   Sorry, no loose horses in my trailers, unless it is a stock trailer.
Nope, not worth the risk.

Heidi