Re: riding and weapons

Chris,

I am definitely old enough to remember Pollyanna, I still have my
childhood copy of the book.

<snip>
>>I am a newspaper reporter and have had threats on my life by the Bubba
contingent in this county. But I still have not carried a gun. I'm not
anti-gun. My husband collects them, but I don't like them.

I prefer to concentrate on my riding and not worry about what the other
guy
is doing. Luckily, I guess, I've never been given a cause to worry
except
once when I was 16 and got chased on my horse by a pack of bikers who
were
looking for trouble on a horse-s only trail. We outran them.<<

I've been run off of the road twice onto gravel, when living in
Louisiana and riding a motorcycle.  I've been chased at least twice by
maniacs in other cars, the first when I was 18.  Close calls on horses,
too.  In none of those cases would I have deployed a pistol.

IMHO, concentrating on my riding and not being aware of my surroundings
is what would put me and my horse in the greatest danger.  I ride in
relatively urban areas to get to the conditioning trails, streets
inhabited by Bubbas and ignorant youth, and awareness has already saved
our butts while mounted on occasions too numerous to count, as they
swerve, honk or pull other vehicular cute tricks.

You know what I've fantasized about carrying on trail, particularly on
the bridle path adjacent to nearly every city street in Norco?  One of
those super-duper paintball guns, the ones that'll go 150 feet.  Mark
that offending car up good with highly visible washable latex paint,
then call the cops from my cell phone.  Anybody tried that? <g>

Lynne
and Rem-member Me