Re: Is this allowed?

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull wrote:

> David Bennett wrote:
> >
> > ...I reached the conclusion that I would have done just as well to
> > start a 50 at those rides and quit if I felt my horse needed to stop.
>
> I wondered about doing this, if you *thought* your horse was
> ready, but weren't sure (because you'd never actually *ridden*
> 50 miles on your horse).
>
> Would this be frowned upon by ride management "taking up valuable
> rescue trailer space" and using up people's time? Or is it acceptable?
> --

Lucy,

	I don't know how other ride managers feel, but I don't have a problem
with that.  I frequently tell riders that are concerned about whether
their horse is capable of doing a 50 to go ahead and start and if
anytime during the competition they feel that they or the horse has had
enough, then they can pull.  I realize that if too many of the riders
did that it would cause a trailering problem, but most riders want to
finish so it has never really been a problem.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego