Re: is this fair?

<< I hear a lot of 25's say they think they shouldn't be left out of
 awards...just because they don't have time to train as much...  I wonder
 how they would like to be one of us "also rans" who complete 50s year
 after year, just out of the awards.  We could drop down and clean up, but
 don't want to.  We don't ride for awards.  I see nothing wrong with doing
 25's forever if that's your thing.  But I also see no glory whatsoever in
 bragging that you win them.

Like anything else competitive, recognition for accomplishment is alway
desired and appreciated. Being an "also ran" in endurance tends to run in
cotrast to the motto. Dropping down and "cleaning up" as is routinely done in
the shows is abhorrent and in decidedly bad form. I suppose the 100 milers
could say the same about the 50 milers, even those 50 milers who WIn. Bragging
is not the same as taking great satisfaction in having completed something
that few attempt and even fewer complete. The GLORY IS in the completion, and
for us, in the doing. Acknowledgement for haing done the job is appropriate
for ANY level, and not to be misunderstood - most don't boast but enjoy the
victory. Some enjoy the boaasting as well (ick!) and so many more are so very
pleased and rpoud to have done it at all. SO SO SO .
sandy