Re: The Limited Distance Dilemma

Angela C. McGhee wrote:

> I truly believe "To Finish is to Win" at any distance.  But I also
> believe that any horse that wins a 25 could have done a nice solid
> completion with less effort on a 50.  If they're 4 and couldn't enter the
> 50, they shouldn't have gone fast enough to win the 25.  I guess that's
> why I just can't see being...oh, top 5.  There are some people in the
> back of top 10 in the 25 around here who ride a very nice race on well
> conditioned horses...come to think of it, they probably could finish a 50
> too.  By the way, when I top tenned in the 50's several times this year,
> several people asked, "Isn't it about time you did a 100?"  So I did, and
> they were right, we were ready and I enjoyed it.
>
> Angie McGhee and Kaboot (who seemed to enjoy it too)

Angie,

	I agree with you that to finish is to win at any distance.  And it
appears that your feelings are that if the horse is ready to do longer
distances then he should move up to those longer distances.  The issue
is that, although the horse may be capable of doing longer distances,
the rider may not be able to or willing to ride the longer distances,
but still wants recognition.

	In our rides in San Diego I see many horses time and time again who for
years only do the short course and although the horse would be capable,
the rider does not enjoy the longer distances.  There are more and more
career 25 mile riders.  The complaint has been by many limited distance
riders that because they only do the shorter distances and because there
are no placings, only completions, that there are no awards for top ten
or best condition.  Many of the limited distance riders have been
questioning the benefits of being members of AERC because they receive
no recognition for their accomplishments.

	Sue Grahl, who is chairman of the limited distance committee, is
looking at all these issues now for discussion at the mid-year board
meeting in July.  She is conducting a survey covering most of these
issues.  If anyone has not completed one of these surveys, contact her
and ask that she send you one.  Her address is 24811 Buckskin Drive,
Laguna Hills,	CA 92653.  714/831-6869.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego