Re: stepchildren and also rans?!

I hate to get into this fray, but what the hell.  When I first started
doing endurance it was 25's.  I actually did too many 25's before doing a
50 but that is another story.  At that time there was NO placing for 25.
It was completition only.  SERA then addressed the issue.  There are
probably more limited distance rides in the southeast than any other region
and there was a need to address the issue.  SERA developed the 60 pulse
finish for the LD's for the protection of the horse.  Most any relativetly
fit horse can run 25 miles - mostly on adrenaline.  But for the most part a
1 hour 40 minute 25 is not the smartest thing for a four year old horse.

My experience is that speed and metabolic breakdown go hand in hand -
especially in hot/humid conditions.  At my ride last year I had two very
serious treatment cases in the 25 and none in the 50 or 100. One horse had
to be stabalized before it could be transported to the UFL vet school.
When it finally peed it looked like expresso.  It almost died. The other
hosrse kept the treatment vet - and the ride manager also - up all night.
It was peeing coffee until about 3 am. Both horse crashed at 13 miles at
the vet check, and both horses did the first 13 miles in about 45 minutes.
I don't know but I suspect that both these horses have permanent damage.
The LD's tend to go faster on younger, less experienced horses - so I have
concerns in making it a full out 25 mile "balls to the wall" horse race.

At SERA rides there is placing based on time - finish being a 60 pulse. The
SERA board voted at the last SERA convention to standardize BC scoring for
LD's.  Until now there was a hodge podge of BC scoring for LD's that ranged
from no BC to best vet score to the same as for an endurance ride.  Now all
SERA rides will used the same critera for BC on an LD ride as used for an
endurance ride - time, weight and vet score.

The LD is a different ride than the 50 and the 50 is a different ride than
the 100.  The AERC will have to deal with this issue.  My only concern
would be the safety of the horses involved.  I have seen too many crashes
at shorter distances to be comfortable supporting 25 mile horse races.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - getting ready for her first ride in six years
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL