Re: stepchildren and also rans?!

I have no doubt that a horse who specializes in shorter races might beat
a good 100's horse.  I know that a good Quarter Horse can blow my 100
mile horse off the trail for 100 yards.  I just thought we were talking
about endurance racing, not just racing.  I just can't accept the fact
that the winners of a wide open 25 mile race are telling me they don't
have time to train for 50.  They obviously already have.

Angie

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:13:36 +0000 "Beth Glace" <lb@nismat.org> writes:
>> >Angie wrote:
>  I see nothing wrong > with doing 25's forever if that's your thing.
> But I also see no glory
>> whatsoever in bragging that you win them.
>
>OK, I know I'm new to this sport, and perhaps I have too little
>experience to comment on this, but this kind of thinking stuns me.
>So, I'll risk provoking people  and say that perhaps those that win at
>100's might not win at 25 if they were competing against horses who
>trained specifically to excel at that distance.  You might find that
>some horses are genetically predisposed to have those traits
> that would allow them to train seriously, race seriously and be
>taken seriously at that distance.  Maybe the Anglo/Arab crosses we've
>been discussing?
>   I've said this before but I'll say it again, I think it's narrow
>minded to think that an animal who competes well over a 6 hour
>period, or 12 hour period or whatever, is a better athlete than one
>who races well over a 2 or 3 hour period.  All of the above distances
>would qualify the horse as an endurance horse.  All predominantly
>slow twitch muscle fiber recruitment. Again, this is exactly the
>attitude people took just after the running boom in the 80's when you
>weren't a real runner till you ran marathons.  Well, a lot of them
>were, excuse me, just plain old slow. Looking at their marathon times
>you'd have to say "gosh, I don't know what they were doing out there
>but it wasn't running!"   I tested 120-125 runners last year alone in
>our physiology lab and I can tell you that many of those "ultra"
>endurance type athletes are not very fit, although they may be very
>patient.  When the stepchildren of the running world who did shorter
>races challenged these "real" runners at any distance, all that speed
>work paid off.  Just about  every person who runs at a world class
>level in the marathon, earlier ran and specialized in shorter
>distance races.  When they got older, and their speed began to
>dwindle, they moved up to the longer races.  Because longer races are
>more legitimate?  NO!  Because for the most part they were no longer
>competitive in the shorter event, and they had years of base
>training to work off.  I think there are some parallels that can be
>drawn between these sports.
>
>I am by no means belittling the training, preparation, experience and
>common sense that most endurance riders bring to each race.  But,
>please, if the LD's are illegitimate it's not due intrinsically to the
>distance, its due - in part-  to self congratulatory attitudes by
>some individuals involved in the sport.
>  She trotted very fast over switchbacks that had dry,
>light
>> powder brown dirt hiding the sharp granite stones.
>>
>This person sounds like she has a very fit horse that she took too
>many risks with.  Pehaps she has an ego problem.
>
>> ****I ended up getting away from this group, but also notice
> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]