Re: stepchildren and also rans?!

Beth Glace wrote:

>    I've said this before but I'll say it again, I think it's narrow
> minded to think that an animal who competes well over a 6 hour
> period, or 12 hour period or whatever, is a better athlete than one
> who races well over a 2 or 3 hour period.

Beth,

	The concern has always been with the limited distance rides is that
they would turn into 2 or 3 hour races which is why the finishing
criteria has been changed to REQUIRE that completion times are when the
horse reaches criteria at the finish, rather than when the horse crosses
the finish line.  Even if new placings and best condition awards were
included in the program, I don't think the finishing criteria would
change for the limited distance.  While some riders do bring horses to
the 25 mile rides who are fit to race, but many are not, so safeguards
for the horse will need to stay in place.  All too often the limited
distance rides are full of "weekend warriors" who frequently confuse a
horse that likes to run, with one that is fit to run.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego