Re: 25 mile ride personal survey.

>I would like to see the ridecamp opinion on 25 mile rides.
>
>Should 25 mile rides be sanctioned and treated exactly like the 50 miles
>or not.

No

>Points to consider or comment on:
>
>1. AERC currently defines the 25 mile ride as a "novice" event. Quote
>from the website "These rides are not considered endurance rides by AERC
>but are referred to as Limited Distance rides."
>

>2. Approx. 60% of the 25 mile entries are non-AERC members.

Those folks should be very greatful for us paying AERC members giving them
a place to ride their horses.
I believe we should charge a non-member fee the same as we do for the other
rides.

>3. AERC is trying to promote the health and welfare of the horse in long
>distance competition.

Speed - before the horse is ready for speed - kills and speed on a 4 or 5
year old horse is the problem with may LD rides.

>4. 25 mile rides generate quite a bit of revenue.

Yes and no.  You need extra vets. You need extra camping.  You have to plan
your trail and first vet check to deal with the large impulse of riders.
All this cost some money.  I am not sure how much, but the LD's are not a
free gravy train for ride managers.

>5. I have heard the argument that most 50 milers run faster on average
>than the 25 miler.
>        Is this correct? has anyone evaluated all the factors including
>hold times, pulse criteria etc.? Or have they just compared winning
>times?

Yea, a 10 year old experienced horses with 1000 or so miles may do the a 50
at a faster pace than a 4 year old horse with 3 25 mile rides - but they
should.  I have seen a lot of sub 2 hour 25's - a lot more of them than sub
four hour 50's.

Also in the southeast the finish for a 25 is a 60 pulse.  Hence when this
time to get to 60 is substracted from the listed ride time for a 25, I
doubt if the above is really true.

>6. It would be nice to know the statistics such as number of horses
>entered, top tened, best condition, etc. and seen year after year and
>mile after mile, or never seen again for whatever reason.
>
>Thanks,
>Suzanne

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - getting ready for her first ride in six years
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL