Re: Stone bruises & hoof hardeners

Zebella wrote:

> Angela C. McGhee wrote:
> > Just in case anyone recommends formaldehyde, make sure you only get it on
> > the sole, and don't do it very often.  By the way, it will really harden
> > the sole.
> >

> Just curious,  where do you buy formaldehyde?
>
> tracy

Ummm, formaldehyde is highly toxic and I believe a carcinogen---and
gloves won't get around it, as it's highly volatile (turns into
vapours).  They don't even use it in biological supply houses anymore in
favor of formalin (and even that isn't a toy).  I think you can get the
same hardening benefits without the risk by using iodine or something
else.  Any hardening benefits to formaldehyde are not worth the risk to
your own health, folks.

Don't mind me, just being a fussy mother hen today...

Susan Garlinghouse