Re: Groundwork vs. Riding

Trish,

My Star had an attitude problem when I first got him. His tricks were
spinning and rearing and he was terrified of water. Now he plows through
all kinds of water, and doesn't rear or spin, unless I cue him to do it.

What I've learned is CONSISTENCY in cues is extremely important. When Star
gets upset, it is usally because I have, inadvertently, given him too many
cues -- my legs may have been telling him one thing and the reins something
else. I have become a very aware rider now. My older horse is more of the
"push button" variety. You didn't really have to think on him much and I
got lazy as a rider.

Star has always been very well behaved on the ground, but I was fearful on
his back adn he picked up on that. when I became bolder and calmer, he
became much more fun to ride. I've had him a year now and he is a much
different horse. The lady who sold him to me said she should send me a
second half bill because he has turned out so well. I said I would match
that with a bill for training.

If you want to email me privately with some of your specific problems,
maybe we can put our heads together and come up with solutions.  Be glad to
share. No point in reinventing the wheel, eh?

chris paus & star