ride food

I know we've done a great job of convering horse nutrition before, during and after rides.  How about riders?  I am diabetic taking insulin and wondering about   how to keep me alert and coping.  (I suffered an "incident" on a competitive 50miler where I became disoriented and couldn't really function.  Luckily, my horse is a very sane and smart Appaloosa who took me to the next stop!)  I have a tough time with the "juggling act" of deciding how much insulin for how much exercise and how much food (and what type) to complete the equation.  Would really appreciate any help that anyone can offer as I ride alone and have no crew.  (Hubby keeeps saying he'll come but has found an excuse twice and was just in the way needing constant supervision and instructions on the one ride he attended  while thinking he was "crewing" for me..  Yes, I gave him some excellent tips gleaned from previous ridecamp digests so we have some hope for the future!)

Vickie Smith
Lincoln, Vermont