Re: long backs & arabs...questions

Hi again, Kimberly--

In my previous post, I neglected to answer your question about numbers of
vertebrae and ribs.  While it is true that Arabs have a tendency to have one
fewer vertebrae, it is not completely consistent.  You will see Arabs with the
full complement, and other breeds that are minus one.  It is just that the
smaller number is somewhat more common in Arabs.  Also, the number of
vertebrae does not necessarily correlate to the length of the back, as there
is some variation in the length of the vertebrae themselves between different
individuals.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)