Re: long backs & arabs...questions

In a message dated 98-01-06 02:26:22 EST, CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com writes:

<< Unfortunately, all too many horses on the endurance
 trail are the castoffs from the show breeding programs--hence, the near
 epidemic we are seeing of back problems. >>

I disagree..that MAY have been the case many years ago.  The show ring judges
are looking for something different that we are.  Form and function are not
very well considered in the show ring. Distance horses may be the "cast-offs",
but not because of the long backs..more likely because of the using
conformation which is NOT the desired "look" in the show ring.

There are many breeders out there, most of whom are NOT "using" horsemen as we
define it.  Popularity and show ring ribbons are bred.

The time has come for distance riders to recognize that you "get what you pay
for".  Get a cheap arab "castoff" from a breeder and maybe you will be lucky
enough to get a good hrose.  BUT, now we see an increase in responsible
breeding from people who actually try to produce "using" horses.  It takes
time and money to raise a horse from conception to riding age.  Recognize that
it still costs over $1000 per year to raise a horse properly (feeding,
innoculations, trimming, shoes, handling, training, etc.)

I have had many a frustrated potential buyer call and say they have spent
thousands of collars in air fare/travel and vetting expenses to find a good
horse. If you really want a good one, spend the time and dollars.  It will
eliminate the heartache of problems down the road.  "Cash and Rio" horses are
MADE by their riders, not necessarily bought. Use your brain and good
judgement.  If a horse is $500, there is a reason for it. EVERY horse has a
fault, BUT, every horse has his assets as well. Weigh the differences....

Teddy