Re: Controlled Starts vs Non Controlled

Non controlled
If you are unsure of your horse's reaction or know that the reaction will
be total
lunacy, then don't start with everyone else at an uncontrolled start.
Sunland has
a shotgun start. I have since decided that since I wish to live, this is
one of those
rides where I will start after the pack and be content with a less than
best finish.

Controlled
I dislike controlled starts because it seems to compress the group more.
With a
non controlled start, I like to take off and slow after the pack has
thinned out. My mare
is not the sweetest thing in a group, so I want to get her out on her own
ASAP. In a
controlled start, there is more of a possability , for me, of an accident
if my horse
 decides to do something about the person riding right up on her butt.

Kris