Re: Controlled Starts vs Non Controlled

I use a controlled start on my ride, Goethe Challenge, becuase there is a
road crossing about 3/4 of a mile from the start.  It is not a busy road,
but it is a paved road and I want to get all the horses (and people)
accross the road as safely as possible.  I have ridden rides with
controlled starts and it was usually because of safety reasons or because
the ride started (100's) before light and the leader would lead you down
the trail untill daylight.

These are both good reasons for controlled start.  If you want a sane start
on a ride then don't go out with the pack.  Wait 10 minutes and go out at
your leasure.

Controlled starts have their place but I don't believe that they are for
every ride.

Truman