Re: Controlled Starts vs Non Controlled

Cheryl,
Funny that you should come up with this  post on controlled starts. I've
been mulling it over in my mind as to whether or not to do this for my
ride (Florida Endurance Classic/7 Mar.'98). After participating in sev-
eral controlled starts during this past ride season, I'd say YES, and
possibly for all distances. I agree with all of your reasons; that first
mile at at controlled pace gives even the most seasoned (I do 100s )
riders and horses a chance to get themselves together; over the long
haul in, what we do, a controlled start is probably  best for all,espec-
ially the horse, and should not have a negitive bearing or be a handicap
in any way(I wouldn't think). I'll make my own decision as to what to do
at my ride, but will be interested in the comments of others.

Have a wonderful year and thanks for the post.

Deena Meyer
carlmey@citrus.infi.net
Inverness,
Fl.