Re: Controlled Starts vs Non Controlled

Cheryl Newbanks wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been giving some thought to the controlled start vs non controlled
> starts in LD rides. My first ride was a non controlled start and I believe
> due to that fact the whole character of the ride was effected.  Actually
> due to the non controlled nature of the start my first ride was actually
> more like a race!  My horse got really fired up and I had trouble rating
> his speed.  There were 40 horses and they all left at the same time like a
> bat out of hell at a full gallop.  We actually got to the 6 mile marker in
> 20 minutes, faster then I wanted to go on a first ride.
>
> But my next ride was a nice controlled start, we had 2 leaders that we
> walked then trotted out to the 1 mile marker together. Everyone actually
> got to know one another, my horse was very calm and controlled, and the
> whole mood of the ride was more relaxed.  I learned more from that ride
> then I did the first one.
>
> Things I learned:  1st ride, pretty much what goes on in the vet check
> because that was the only place we slowed down long enough to look around!
> 2nd ride: rider cordiality, rating my horse so I have more horse left at
> the end, reading ribbons (actually had time to see them!).  Differences in
> my horse: 1st ride a maniac, he got tired the last 8 miles, got A-'S and
> B's on his vet card.
> Second ride: Straight A's on his card, I found out that when he isn't
> emotionally tired from trying to pass the head horse that I've got tons of
> horse left at the end of a LD, I can put him anywhere in the pack and he
> will accept it.  He dropped less weight too then the first ride.  All in
> all the second ride was a much more educational and pleasant experience, it
> felt more like our motto "To finish is to win".
>
> So I'd be interested in hearing from you ridecampers what you think of
> controlled vs non-controlled, what you're experience has been with the two?
> Personally I think ALL LD's should have controlled starts.  After all
> aren't LD's a great tool for learning what to do and what not to do?  Also,
> what about the people who don't have a good base on their horses and they
> leave out of there like a bat out of hell and end up getting pulled 1st
> check?  Isn't a controlled start another means of protecting our horses
> from our own ignorance?  Yeah I know, that is the rider's responsibility,
> but not all riders always take the responsibility to educate themselves on
> conditioning, feeding, etc...  WE'VE ALL SEEN THOSE RIDERS!  So OK it could
> be said that a controlled start may be a way in preventing the injuries to
> horses that give our sport bad Press!
>
> So come on gang, this list had been endurance topic deprived lately so lets
> stir it up give me some feedback!
>
> Cheryl Newbanks
> horsetrails@inficad.com
> Just In Time Ranch
> Buckeye, AZIam considering trying a 25/LD after field trial season ends in the
spring,and if it starts like a race I'm going to have trouble! I'll just
hang back from the start-not let Chico even SEE the group leave,then
we'll follow his nose a few minutes later,I think. Even at that, he'll be
cross-cantering on me. On the other hand,such situations are no doubt
unavoidable at some time during any event,and if my horse gets into a
panic to join horses going faster than I can safely go,I can get off and
wait a few minutes."Chico,you stupid #*@%<! If'd you let ME have the
throttle,we could probably go that fast!"