Re: Awards Ceremony

My experience with several trips over there is just the opposite.  The one
referred to below, the only thing that saved us was the fact we were traveling
on diplomatic pastports.  We were there to install a data processing system to
support the gulf war effort. We were there at the beginning of the build up.
The three women in our party were not in the military and were not in uniform.

We were told that they had to wear Arabian dress when outside.  No - not
acceptable.  Then some midlevel government official had the nerve to say they
couldn't go outside - no wrong.  Then we were told they would be locked
inside.  No wrong.  This is when the embassy got involved and reminded the
Arabs that we were on diplomatic pastports and they had better knock off the
crap.

Then a different mid level government official made a threat to one he women
about their safety.  That did it and I packed them up and we came home until
it got resoved.  It did and we went back and things were somewhat better - not
good but somewhat better.  Even then the times we went out into public the
women were scoffed - we had a U. S. state dept employee with us who was an
Arabic linquist and he let us in on what we were called.  One of the women was
actually spit at one time.

Not a pretty sight.  Yes their culture is different and no we should not try
to put ours onto theirs, but civil behavior can be expected independent of
culture.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm with one on the way
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.