Re: Around the Mountain & mental conditioning

As much as I hate to admit this because we thought it was pretty foolish but
now I don't feel so bad... we have tried singing to our horses out on the
trail, too.  We, being my sister and I and neither of us can carry a tune in a
bucket.  We tried it on our way into vet checks to get our horses to relax and
it works!  (My sister knows the words to Happy Trails and is teaching me).   We
haven't really sung to them to get them going but I will suggest that to her...
at the last 25 LD of the season, her mare's first, we rode together the first
15 miles but my horse's pulse came down ten minutes before hers did... what a
dilemma.  Go on or stay for her... she convinced me to go because we had worked
hard all season and, God forbid and please no more mails about it, but we were
in a good position for a possible placement.  So I went on, riding with another
gal who went out at the same time.  My sister headed out on her mare but alas,
Jonathan and I were long gone.  She went along well for a little bit and then
quit!!!  She did consent to a walk, this the Tennessee Walking mare that had
NEVER been known to truly WALK!  Well, they still placed 6th for BC but I was
glad to hear we aren't alone in our musical meanderings on the trail!!  We'll
have to come up with a catchy tune for encouraging movement!!  :)
Maggie