Re: Around the Mountain & mental conditioning

B. Miskimmin/J. Curtis wrote:

> But how do people out there deal with perking up those horses that "don't
> feel like it" right now? Is it possible to mentally condition a horse, or
> do we just have to be lucky enough to have horses that have the gung ho
> attitude in the first place?

I pulled a mare from her first 50 years ago because she just STOPPED out
on the trail.  She was simply depressed.  She didn't want to leave a 30
mile check (going back out by herself), then she pooped out on me out in
the middle of the Ocala National Forest.  I was sure that something was
seriously wrong.  Blood work was normal, and she was perky again when
she saw the other horses.  I think that she felt like she was the only
horse out there.

If my horse has "down time" (& I do too, sometimes), I sing with a good
trotting rhythm to it.  Rocket seems to perk up and keep time, much like
when we do dressage to music.  You <do> have to realize that he may only
be going faster to get away from the caterwauling on his back.  I
couldn't carry a tune in a bucket (with a lid)!  Oher times, we'll do
some "exercises" (bends, lateral work, hop a log) to break up the
monotony on long stretches.

Experience seems to be the best cure for the horses that I've ridden.

Linda Flemmer