Judging how to "move up a level"...

Up to now, I've been hitting the "del" key for most
of this discussion, but thought one of Maggie's comments
was interesting:

Maggie Mieske wrote:

> ...but the LDs are how I will be able to judge myself
> and my horse's ability to go on to the next level...

I don't think you need to place high on an LD ride to
figure out whether or not you're capable of going on to
longer rides.

I did an LD ride - came in near the back (don't know where,
but I know we left late and only passed a couple of people).
But I was comfortable at the end, and so was my horse. So we
went on and did a 50 miler. Travelled the same sort of speed,
still placed at the back, still felt human at the end.

I know there's lots of room for improvement for both me
and my horse - that's why we'll travel slow for now.

But the point is, I didn't need to "win" or place high on an
LD ride to know that we were capable of going on to do longer
rides.

The idea is to "do the distance", not necessarily "do the
distance in the shortest time possible". Only later, when
you are confident of yourself and your horse's abilities,
perhaps that's the time to start adding speed?

I seem to think that the purpose of LDs was to whet people's
appetites - to prove to themselves "hey, that wasn't nearly
as bad as I though - I bet I could go on and do more". I
don't think its aim was: "hey, once I can top-ten an
LD, I can move up to a longer ride (but not until then)".

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Repotted english person in Sacramento, CA

with Mouse and Provo