Re: Judging how to "move up a level"...

I certainly did not mean to imply that I "judge" my horse's ability on
his placings... please understand I never expected to place in any of
the rides I rode in this year and all of my placings were a surprise for
me... as I said, I let Jonathan "ride the ride"... I let him set the
pace and sometimes ask him for a little more if he's lollygagging along
but I also will hold him back to a certain extent if I feel it's
necessary.  These rides give me something to go on... recovery times,
fitness level, finishing times, etc. that will help me make the decision
if we're ready to go that extra 25 miles... a 50 is twice as long and if
riding the 25 LDs helps me prepare myself and my horse to compete AND
complete in a 50, then I will go for it... perhaps LDs do whet people's
appetites but I think that is the great part about CTRs or endurance
rides.... it's you and your horse!!!  "To finish IS to win!"  I placed
dead last on my first 50 and was pleased as punch... I also knew that I
needed to do some more 25 LD before we go on to 50's next year.  For
BOTH of us (well, maybe more for me!).  That is what I meant by judging
and BTW, you can only top SIX a horse in LD (or at least that is how it
is here in Michigan) and  I am still pickled pink if we place in the top
six or ten of any ride!  Can't rain on my parade!!
Maggie