Re: Judging how to "move up a level"...

> The idea is to "do the distance", not necessarily "do the
> distance in the shortest time possible". Only later, when
<SNIP>
> I seem to think that the purpose of LDs was to whet people's
> appetites - to prove to themselves "hey, that wasn't nearly
> as bad as I though - I bet I could go on and do more". I
> don't think its aim was: "hey, once I can top-ten an
> LD, I can move up to a longer ride (but not until then)".

I agree completely with Lucy.  To me, the purpose of an LD is to learn
how to trailer & camp with a horse; learn the vet check routine; see how
Lakota would act when taking off with a crowd of horses; and just
generally "get my feet wet" at an endurance ride.  Like Lucy, I moved up
to a 50 after my first 25.  Though we pulled after 3 loops, for a variety
of reasons, I didn't regret that I had signed up for the 50, because I
knew I could do the 25 -- where was the challenge in doing it again?  I
wanted to move up to real endurance riding!  After we are able to do the
distance easily, then maybe we will try speed.

Further, I think it will be harder on the horse mentally to slow down for
a 50 if he has gotten accustomed to doing a fast 25.  I think it's easier
to increase the distance for the horse first, and add the speed later.

I guess it depends on why you're riding though -- do you want miles and
personal satisfaction, or do you want Top Ten recognition?

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region