Re: Ride fees

CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:
The
> rides have been a real gift to the sport from the ride managers who put them
> on, IMO, and are a great way of getting new folks to come "shake hands" with
> the sport.  A few get hooked and go on--folks who otherwise might never have
> tried.  just as a matter
> of general principle, these horses get exams just like the horses going
> farther.

My husband & I held these "fun" rides that were run like an AERC ride to
encourage folks in our old SE Virginia area to learn about endurance.
There was a dearth of endurance/CTR riders in the area.  We held a 12
mile, 18 mile and 22 mile ride with complete vetting, standing for BC,
etc. for 3 years running (independant of any AERC events).  Our turn out
was outstanding.  Normally, jack pot rides in the area expected 75-100
people.  We were pulling in nearly 200 each year!

Over time, we developed enough support to form an endurance club.  A lot
of those folks went on to endurance or CTR, but a lot stuck with
pleasure riding.  The pleasure riders stuck with the club because they
learned so much about caring for their horses and training for those fun
rides in the mountains, how to horse camp, etc.  The club tracked
training miles that they did (minimum 10 miles to count).  You NEVER saw
a rider so proud as those getting their first patches or halter plates.
It was a win-win situation!

We were considered an expensive ride at $25, including a hot after-ride
meal (chicken stew, chili, etc.).  A $10 non-member fee (if this were
run with AERC) would have made it unattainable for far too many folks.
These were not show people.  They were not used to paying non-member and
grounds fees.  They were backyard horsemen willing to try something
new.
They pulled in with their 40 yr old western or working hunt saddles,
rusty 2 horse trailers that were pulled with an old station wagon,
carrying horses that were family friends (some who were bought from the
knackers).  We offered clinics to educate them before the event, well
marked trails, vets who were willing to educate as well as vet.  Spouses
with little horse interest came to crew or help run the stations.  Ham
radio operator's club offered their services to learn about emergency
field operations.  I really felt we all got a lot out of these events.

Are we about to see the end to this?
It will be very interesting to see how the By-Laws vote went on the LD
issue!  I can't wait.

Linda Flemmer