Re: Ride fees

In a message dated 98-11-30 09:47:35 EST, SEEINGSPOTS@prodigy.net writes:

<< Although here in the PNW --particularily in Washington where I live--rides
 are being cancelled, I joined AERC because I felt I was going to benefit in
 the long run by doing so.  One of these benefits is being able to belllyache
 about higher fees and do agree with those who feel it will keep new people
 from trying the sport.  I know that I'm not the only one lured into the
 endurance net just by trying out a little ''fun'' ride for starters.

 Gay and little Buddy

That's what we hear from lots of the people that go on these "fun" rides.  The
rides have been a real gift to the sport from the ride managers who put them
on, IMO, and are a great way of getting new folks to come "shake hands" with
the sport.  A few get hooked and go on--folks who otherwise might never have
tried.  I have vetted a few rides that have hosted these, and just as a matter
of general principle, these horses get exams just like the horses going
farther.  Most of them take as long or longer to do 10 or 15 miles as it takes
most of the LD field to get through 25--certainly not being overridden.  I
personally haven't hosted any of these, but my hat is off to the RM's that do,
and my rides benefit indirectly with increased ridership because other RM's
got more people involved.  There simply isn't enough of an "event" there to
justify a higher entry fee or dues to a national organization, and there is no
point in destroying this entry level "marketing tool" that some RM's so
generously provide for us.

Heidi