[RC] jigging horses - marinera

Outside our gate is a nice down hill of about a mile and half and a 600 or 700 drop in altitude.  We go down it at a nice sedate walk or slow trot in some areas.  When we make the U turn to come backup, the horses know where home is and it can become a little more difficult to contain their exuberance over the homeward dash. Because it is a good up hill training hill we want them to come up fast. But when we reach the gate at the top of the hill, and home is only a couple of hundred feet away,  we turn them away from home and the barn and make them walk out across a ridge. So the top of the hill and the barn is no longer the end of the ride.  Those horses that jig on the homeward stretch might benefit by being made to walk past home.  Julie Suhr