[RC] Hoofboots/Bare - Kevin Myers

I’m a newbie to the barefoot thing – and believe me – I never ever ever thought I would even attempt to go barefoot/booted. We’re into week 36 without shoes on our four horses and much of the endurance community around the Phoenix/Scottsdale area seems to be experimenting with pulling shoes.

A couple of our horses were sore for the first few weeks – mostly because we made some mistakes early on – but they are all doing really well now. I had a fantastic ride at Tevis in Glue-Ons and I had success with Easyboot Gloves or Glue-Ons at various rides throughout the year (multi and single day events). I’ve had one or two user error challenges along the way, but our herd has never had such nice looking feet. It has definitely been an astounding journey for us.

I’ve distilled my own advice to those considering the transition into five short suggestions – you can read them here.

I also tracked our weekly progress for the first six months (much of it fumbling) – you can go back into the archives and look at it here if you want a good laugh.

Kevin Myers