Re: [RC] Thoughtful insight - stephanie teeter

Horse Heaven is one of my all time favorites! I haven't read her latest, but will look for it-

Steph

On Jan 11, 2010, at 5:12 PM, Kristen A Fisher wrote:

Thanks Cheryl - I really like this author. A Year at the Races is a
non-fiction chronicle of her own horses over the course of a year. Horse
Heaven is a fictional novel that parallels some of the horses she has known.
Both are great reads!!

Make me want to go re-read them ;-)
Kristen

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Randy or
Cheryl Winter
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 5:18 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Thoughtful insight

Thought I would share this with ridecamp.

Cheryl

Following is an excellent quote from Jane Smiley"s book  " A
Year at the Races" Most horses pass from one human to another
- some horsemen and women are patient and forgiving, others
are rigorous and demanding, others are cruel, others are
ignorant.  Horses have to learn how to, at the minimum, walk,
trot, canter, gallop, go on trails and maybe jump, to be
treated by the vet, with sense and good manners.  Talented
Thoroughbreds must learn how to win races, and if they can't
do that, they must learn how to negotiate courses and jump
over strange obstacles without touching them, or do
complicated dance like movements or control cattle or
accommodate severely handicapped children and adults in
therapy stables. Many horses learn all of these things in the
course of a single lifetime.
 Besides this, they learn to understand and fit into the
successive social systems of other horses they meet along the
way.  A horse's life is rather like twenty years in foster
care, in and out of prison, while at the same time changing
schools over and over and discovering that not only do the
other students already have their own social groups, but that
what you learned at the old school hasn't much application at
the new one. We do not require as much of any other species,
including humans.  That horses frequently excel, that they
exceed the expectations of their owners and trainers in such
circumstances, is as much a testament to their intelligence
and adaptability as to their relationship skills or their
natural generosity or their inborn nature. That they sometimes
manifest the same symptoms as Romanian orphans - distress,
strange behaviors, anger, fear - is less surprising than that
they usually don't. No one expects a child, or even a dog to
develop its intellectual capacities living in a box 23 hours a
day and then doing controlled exercises the remaining one.
Mammal minds develop through social interaction and
stimulation.  A horse that seems stupid might just have not
gotten the chance to learn!
                  Take care of your horses in 2010