Re: [RC] weight division changes - Diane Trefethen

sherman wrote:
Can someone tell me where I can find the info regarding weight division changes? ... I read the rules twice and couldn't find out when the
deadline was for changing.

That's because there ARE no rules covering changing weight divisions. Either the BOD or the AERC office decided that because there is a rule for changing *regions*, it would be nice to just apply it to weight divisions... so they do. In "the old days", your weight division was what you actually weighed at a ride (novel concept, no?). But now regional and national awards stats are more important than people riding against people the same weight at each ride so you have to declare a division by the end of May and stay with it, no matter what you actually weigh. If you are fortunate enough to lose weight during the ride season and drop below the required minimum for your division, after May 31st, you can't ride *AT ALL* unless you carry dead weight to make up the difference. If you don't carry weights, you risk losing ALL your miles and points for the whole season. Which is why a lot of riders deliberately declare a lower weight division than they actually belong in... just to guard against that possibility. Given that the penalties for giving "fraudulent information regarding weight" are so stiff, if I were you, that's what I'd do... pick the lower division for safety. Either that or start a movement demanding that people be allowed to ride in their correct division no matter what time of year they ride.

BTW, it's even tougher on those who GAIN weight. They aren't allowed to compete against their peers and are forced to ride against lighter competitors for the rest of the season which is exactly the opposite of what was intended when weight divisions were first instituted.