[RC] pulling shoes now OLDER horse - sherman

Title: Message
No, unshod horse owners who have heard of riding barefoot but are  not committed to or have not educated themselves on doing it right. In the area of N. CA foothills where I live, it is not uncommon that if the horse isn't shod, owners sometimes think they don't need to keep a regular schedule with the farrier, after all, there is no loose or worn out shoe to remind them. My farrier only visits every two or 3 mos., however, I am committed to do the maintenance trimming myself and call at the first sign of an imbalance that I'm not sure how to handle.

Kathy

 only call [farrier] every 3 or 4 months, so by the time he gets there the hoof is overgrown, cracked and chipped and they are wondering why the hooves look so bad and the horse is gimpy. It is waaay more work (at least in this area) than having shod horses.

Do you mean to say these people wait more than 3-4 months to call a farrier when their horses are shod??

Terry