[RC] Mule saddles - Fred & Cynthia Ross

Well, here is my experience so far.

On my first mule I used a Big Horn leather endurance saddle (did not like the cordura one). This saddle seemed to work on this mule fine as she had a slightly more "horse like" back then some mules. My present mule has a VERY straight back. Though decent withers for a mule. She is 15.2H with a narrow build (Arabian mom) My Big Horn did not work at all on her. I then bought her a "mule"  endurance saddle. The saddles that are sold by  Timberidge, Mountain Horse, SoMoMules and Switchback (all selling the same saddles) And I didn't like the saddle AT ALL. Cheaply made in my opinion, and didn't even begin to fit my mule despite the fact that they are "custom made".  Thankfully the woman I bought the saddle from (Switchback) was absolutely wonderful to deal with and took the saddle back with a full refund.

Then I tried a Torsion Treeless. BAD news for miss mulies back! She has the protruding spine type of build and where the stirrup strap goes over her spine caused her all kinds of trouble. And that was with all the extra inserts in the Equipedic pad AND the saddle itself.

I then borrowed a "Steve Edwards" Trail Light model mule saddle. Basic western cordura/leather saddle. This actually worked very well on my mule. The only problem I had was her getting white hair where the back side of the girth ring lays against her of all things. But the tree seemed to fit very good. So, I ordered a Steve Edward saddle. The leather Trail Rider model without the horn and just cordura fenders. I thought the leather skirting might prevent the white hairs from the girth rings. And it has. I like the saddle. I find it VERY comfortable for me. And I've seen no problems with my mule. I've been using it about a year now. It weighs 25 lbs which isn't ideal BUT, a light saddle and a sore back is even less ideal.

Cindy R. and Ruby the mule in Maine