[RC] ear infection? - Amy

Was hoping to get some info here on horse ear infections.  I know they are extremely rare, but my horse (CTR newbie and endurance hopeful) has one.  He actually had a pool of pus in his ear.  He's being treated by the vet, on antibiotics and we're culturing a swab and I'm having my chiropractor out today too, but even the vets don't know much about them as they just don't usually happen.  I'm in MI which has been frozen for years now (so it seems, lol) so bugs aren't likely.  Just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with them, if it has happened to your horse, was it linked to anything else, etc.  Thanks!

Amy