Re: [RC] 2 Soleguard experiences - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Joni's horse Cash had Sole Guard in his front feet at the NC last Oct.  He finished the 100 in 5th place...and his Sole Guard was still there.  The TRICK is to use something with it.  No matter which Equi-Pak product you use.  I read all the time about people having a bad experience with the stuff.  I LOVE it.  I have never had it come out.  I have used it at the OD three different times on three horses....it stayed in.  I use the mesh that the Equi people sell.  I also use a Luwex rim pad or full pad, with the Equi Pak, Sole Guard, etc...under the pad sometimes.  I would never try to use it alone, plus, I don't ever do the "dry the sole" part of the application.  You just can't expect it to stay in the hoof without some help.

Jody

--- On Wed, 2/18/09, Mary Howell <mary.howell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Mary Howell <mary.howell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] 2 Soleguard experiences
To: "ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 12:16 PM

Hello all -

Last May at the Biltmore 100, the Swifts used Soleguard on their barefoot
horse. The trails there are mostly packed dirt and Tom checked all 4 hooves
at every hold, then re-applied more Soleguard to the fronts mid-way through.

The Soleguard wore off again but Tom didn't bother reapplying - less than
20
miles remained. Their horse won; Soleguard helped him do it
"barefoot."

Last October, the day before the Ntl Champ 50, My friend Kathy and I had the
ride farrier apply Soleguard to our already-shod horses (fronts only) as
extra protection in lieu of pads.

The farrier did his best to apply so the stuff would stay in - using a
horseshoe nail to carve out a groove between the steel and sole all to
create a "lip" before the Soleguard set, having us wait until later
afternoon so no dew on the grass, and keeping the horses for still 20
minutes afterward so it could set.

We rode hard the next day and I'm glad my horse had that extra protection
but the Soleguard was gone from one of his hooves by the first hold and from
the other hoof by the second (last) hold.

Soleguard kits were given to the Top 10 NC Finishers so hopefully someone
else out there will chime in about their experience.

Considering one doesn't always have time or optimal conditions to reapply
Soleguard mid-ride, I'd always recommend old-fashioned plastic pads or
maybe
EZ boots over shoes, especially for a rocky ride like the Old Dominion.

Mary Howell in VA