[RC] E. Mojave - day 2! - Steph Teeter

Well we did it, and it was totally worth the drive and hassle of packing (quickly) to get here. We rode from base camp up to the most amazingly beautiful canyon - with a wild variety of flora - and a floor of fresh snow. Agave, cactus (barrel, prickly pear, cholla ... you name it), joshua trees, grease wood, iron wood, all sorts of small 'bushes' that I couldn't identify. At the highest points we got into juniper and even pinion pine. Windy single track trail... beautiful. It was a long day and we were both exhausted at the end. 55 miles, and a lot of climbing - up to the canyon in the morning, and then back up and over Cima dome after lunch. More snow, and some spectacular joshua trees (at least 25 feet high, I'm sure!). Tons of downhill trotting. Excellent footing, though there was a lot of deep sand in stretches - tho the sand was much firmer after the recent moisture. But the horses did well. We finished 14th and 15th out of 60 starters. Christoph Stork finished first, Crockett Dumas was 2nd and BC (I don't know the names of their horses). Jim and Clydea were 4th and 6th, and I guess there was a pretty good race coming in:)

Clydea and I are both going out again tomorrow. Jim had enough with the 2 days, and John and Mac were both tired enough at the end of the day that they're going to save their energy for the next Valley of the Sun ride which is in Scottsdale in 2 weeks. Jaziret felt pretty good all day, I think he's up for another.

Steve's internet isn't on right now and I'm ready to be horizontal... will send this out in the morning.

Rain in the forecast for tomorrow - we're hoping it holds off 'till after the ride!

Steph