RE: [RC] Completely healthy? - k s swigart - Chastain, Shannon L.

I must be a nut too because I see horseback riding as healthy too. But in IMHO health risk and Healthy Activities are two different things. A person sitting watching TV all day is not in health risk land but they are sure not doing anything healthy. Sure riding a horse has health risk associated but the physical act of riding, saddling, feed and all the other things we do is healthy.

Shannon

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Carrie Kitley
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 2:17 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Completely healthy? - k s swigart

Kat -
Well then, I guess I'm off my nut. I would never deny that. LOL
Being involved with horses is still a FAR CRY from
doing addictive drugs as far as physical AND mental health issues go and I
really don't think that the two should even be compared to each
other.  If you look at the death toll due to drug/alcohol abuse vs
horseback riding, there's a huge gap, not to mention the lives of
those families/friends associated with the drug or alcohol abuse and
 the
distruction it causes.
I don't of know too many families who have been torn apart by horseback
riding. You are trying to compare something extremely toxic to something
healthy but yes, risky.  Like I said before, driving a car even has it's risks but
people do it every day regardless. You just can't compare these two activities.
Horses are still a much healthier alternative.
As far as being more understanding of other people's addictions, I'm
not sure what you meant by that exactly, but as a person who has conquered
some pretty ugly addictions of my own and participated for years in
a 12-step program as a result, I think I am probably MORE
 understanding
about that than most people you'll ever meet.
Carrie

Anybody who thinks that horse riding is "completely healthy" is off their nut.?
The health risks associated with horses are HUGE (mostly because horses are
huge), and it is even encoded in many state laws that equestrian activites are
"inherently risky."

Participants in horse activities may decide that the health risks associated
with equine activities are worth the benefits (pleasures) that you get from
participating, but that does not, by any means, make horse riding comletely
healthy.

The pleasures that can be derived from equine activities can be very addicting,
and, as a concequence, attract people with addictive personalities.? There are
substantial mental, physical and social health risks associated with horses.?
Horse people would be wise to be aware of and on their guard against them.

And to be more understanding of other people's addictions...