[RC] Interested in AERC Research Committee? - Olin Balch

Consider this an invitation to attend the Research Committee meeting
scheduled for Friday, February 20, 12:15 p.m. ­ 1:15 p.m. in
Louisville. Kentucky.

The focus of the meeting will be future directions of the Research
Committee.  The following will be discussed:

1)     What research proposals should be solicited?  For the last
year, the committee has had the following priorities: First,
identification of risk factors for ride disease and non-completions;
Second, working in conjunction with the current AERC horse database,
creation of a 2nd database to include more specific horse information
that is readily searchable and statistically analyzable.
Sports-medicine issues (making the well horse a more successful
competitor) has been a lesser priority.

2)     How should research funds be raised?  Membership contributions
at time of membership renewal?  Memorials?  Solicitation of funds from
horse industry?

3)     Research publications in the EN and Vet Quarterly?  Given
sufficient energy on the part of the Research Committee, relevant and
interesting stuff could be published in almost every issue.

4)     Composition of the Research Committee?

I am certain there are many AERC members with expertise and interest
in endurance-horse research who I do not know personally.  If you are
interested in AERC research, please feel free to attend this meeting.
If you are interested in being a member of the 2009 Research
Committee, please send me a 1-page email briefly describing: 1) your
scientific background, interests, and skills; 2) what contributions
you would bring to the Research Committee; and 3) what you would like
to see the Research Committee do.

Best,

Olin

Olin Balch, DVM, MS, PhD