[RC] To Da Moon, Alice - Bruce Weary

On the Honeymooners, Ralph's wife was played by Audrey Meadows, the sister of Jayne Meadows, who was the wife of Steve Allen, who, among other things, was the first host of the Tonight Show.
When I was still doing a radio show, I had the rare opportunity to interview Jayne on two different occasions. She was a skin cancer survivor, with her red hair and fair Irish skin, and she would talk about the dangers of
too much sun and prevention. Steve was still alive then, but was never present during the interviews, which were telephonic. When we were on the air, she was the outgoing, showy, talkative star we all know. And when we were on a commercial break, she would talk to me as though I were her closest confidante. Apparently, around that time, she and Audrey were estranged from one another and not speaking. Audrey had contracted lung cancer (she was a heavy smoker) and the first Jayne knew about it was during a television filming, and Audrey had been recently hospitalized. Jayne went immediately to see her, but she had already slipped into a coma, and was never able to speak to her. I think it was in the mid-90's or so. Very sad. When we would come back on the air, she was her normal talkative self, but she wouldn't talk about the situation with Audrey at that time. She was still obviously very much in love with Steve, who was a genius in his own right. Very nice lady.

What struck me about that experience is that we all, no matter how much fame and fortune, seem to have our share of heartache, genius, cancer, family unrest, and public and private personalities.

Incidentally, she said Jackie Gleason could be a bit of an ogre and detested rehearsing. Much of the Honeymooners was roughly scripted and had much ad libbing, which probably added to its appeal.
If someone could please tell me what any of this has to do with horses, I'd appreciate knowing. Bruce Weary