[RC] Linda in Abu Dhabi - Day 6, part 3 - Jay Randle

We headed back into the vetting ring to see some of the action there as
the horses weren’t that far from getting back. We caught up with Gilly
Wheeler from enduranceworldonline and quite a few of the locals that Meg
knew before seeing the horses come in. It was fairly busy in the vet ring
with horses from the 1st leg of the 40km ride as well as the 80km ride and
horses going through their pre-ride for tomorrow’s ride.

We saw Lightening vet thru so was pretty happy with that. I also saw one
of the weirdest put together horses I have ever seen. It was a fairly
tall horse with really long ears and a neck fairly close in length to that
of a giraffe. It had a wither similar in size to a Brahman bull and then
a dropped back that a 30 year old horse would be envious of. It’s body
was sausage like (and if I was cheeky enough I’d say very similar to those
wasp-bodied straight Egyptian show horses but I’m not like that!) and I
can’t tell you what it’s back end was like because I couldn’t drag my eyes
off the front end.

We had to leave to head back to the stable so I didn’t get to follow its
fortunes in the vet ring. So we headed off and got onto the truck road.
Over here they have these roads built specifically for the trucks to get
them off the main roads. The only trouble with getting on the truck road
is that you tend to drive three abreast getting past the trucks – the
truck on our side of the road rightmost, us in the middle and the
on-coming trucks barely giving us a hand’s breadth of space!

One of the more unusual sights on the way back was the F350 ute that
looked relatively new. In the back of the ute was about 8 goats. No
stock crate to keep them in the ute, no ropes tying them in, just these
goats standing in the back of the ute. I can’t believe that none of them
wanted to jump out.

One of the funny things we saw on the way up to the endurance village was
the road sign – Beware Road Surprises. Not too sure what surprises to
expect and we didn’t really see anything but it was an interesting sign.

Back at the stable we got through our chores as usual and the poor little
gateman informed us that he hadn’t been fed all day and neither had any of
the other gate people. These poor souls camp out at the compound and are
reliant on someone else delivering them some sustenance and they’d
obviously been forgotten. Unfortunately we didn’t have anything to give
him so we’re going to buy some biscuits for him tomorrow.

Tonight is a quiet night – the other three have gone to the gym to do some
work outs and I’ve decided to be a couch potato and get this posted off.
Pre-dinner drinks are at 8 pm in Meg’s room where we’ll have a look at
some of the photos we’ve taken and then head into the dining room for some
sustenance.

Tomorrow will see us head back up to Dubai to catch some of the 1* ride.
Sunday The President’s Cup for Arabian racing is being held so we’re
planning on going to that event also and then Monday night we are going to
Gilly’s place for dinner so the social life is booming!

Cheers for now

Linda

Click here for the latest news and tips. Get the most out of your life online!