[RC] Linda in Abu Dhabi - Day 6, part 2 - Jay Randle

The tracks are becoming busier now that all the international horses are
here. There is a really interesting mix of horses ranging from almost
pony like arabs up to one horse that almost looks clumper-like! One horse
here has one of the more ordinary clipping jobs you could see and you
wonder why someone would present a horse that looks like that to a ride of
this level. I have to say that I really haven’t seen anything that I
would like to take home and in terms of presentation and looking well the
three Australian horses look the best on the track.

The traffic was very light today as everyone stays home with their
families and do heaps of family things. There is a children’s park along
the way to the stables and there were plenty of folk there. We also saw
families running around in the sand dunes and playing on quad bikes in the
dunes.

Once we were finished we headed back to the motel and then had some lunch
before driving up to the endurance village. Once there we had a wander
around and saw quite a few ex-Castlebar horses, including a couple I’d
ridden previously – Magic Glenn Lomad and Lashel. We also saw Aloha
Juror, who has been over here for quite some time. I think there was
about 6 or 7 horses in total. One of the young horses that had come
across, Lightening, was in the 80km ride so we were keen to go out on
track and see him travelling.

While in the vet ring we ran into Vikki Reid and also saw Anton on a
horse. We had a brief chat in the ring with Vikki before heading out on
track. We found the riders out in the desert and everyone seemed to be
travelling along really well, nobody seemed out of control! We checked
out quite a few horses and saw a Cedar Ridge horse as well as one of the
Ningadoo horses. Both looked really well and fit.

Driving alongside was a bit of fun as we tackled some heavy sand and we
were starting to think we were going to get bogged (how embarrassing) but
Meg was able to navigate our way through before realising she was still in
2WD! Good on the Patrol. We saw a flash Mercedes 4WD bogged on the
little hump at the edge of the track and had fun laughing at them for
their ineptitude.

We found Lightening on track and he was being ridden well, getting his
leads changed regularly. He was being accompanied by a French mare who
was a full sister to some famous French horse whose name just escapes me
at the minute. While out on track we also come across another Aussie –
Alan Post – who works over in Dubai.

Get what you want at ebay. Get rid of those unwanted christmas presents!