Re: [RC] Riding at elevation - Carla Richardson

What is considered high elevation for a horse?  Is it 5000 feet?

Carla Richardson
Colorado

On 2/3/09, Ranelle Rubin <raneller@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Here is the way it was explained to me:

The first 2-5 days your horse still has the highly oxygenated RBC's from the lower elevation necessary to do the work. After that, they need to "lay low" for 10-14 more days before their body acclimates and the RBC's once again have enough oxygen to complete the Kreb's Cycle without coming up short and causing a dumping of lactic acid. The condition this can cause is what we call "tieing up"..or azytoria.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant

http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx